Every year NBC Universal opens up it’s doors to a select few candidates interested in joining the ranks of the late night sketch and comedy staff writers. The NBCUniversal Late Night Writers Workshop is a 2-week program designed to expose new talent to opportunities in the film and television industry.
The workshop staff is looking for writers who need that final bit of preparation and exposure to key industry players. They especially encourage female writers and those of diverse backgrounds to apply.
About NBC Universal Late Night Writers Workshop
The NBCUniversal Late Night Writers Workshop is a multi-day program focused on exposing talented sketch and comedy writers to NBCUniversal’s late night & alternative line-up and readying them for a staff writer position. We are looking for writers who are “almost there,” but need that final bit of preparation and exposure to key industry players. We particularly encourage female writers and those of diverse backgrounds to apply. The selected writers will create new sketch material and gain insight into the dynamics of a late night writers’ room. Participants are given the chance to interact with key writers and producers from across NBCUniversal’s late night and alternative shows, as well as receive feedback on their material.
1. Applicants must submit ALL of the following pieces in one properly formatted packet, in a single PDF file:
- 1-2 pages of topical monologue jokes. If you think it helps us, please indicate which host’s voice you have in mind (can be but does not have to be NBC host). Topical news jokes and pop culture jokes should make up the bulk of your material.
- 1-2 pages of original ideas for refillable late night “desk bits”. These can be ideas for elements like Jimmy Fallon’s “Thank You Notes”, pre-taped correspondent bits like “Jaywalking” or multimedia bits. For this portion, please provide descriptions of the bits and not scripts.
- 2 SNL-style sketches (no more than 5 pages EACH). One sketch should introduce an original character and one should be topical (something newsworthy or pop culture-based).
2. Applicants must complete the Late Night Writers Workshop online application, which includes your bio, resume and essay questions.
3. Applicants must fill out a release form for their submitted packet (link will be provided when application is open). Upload form in online application.
4. Applicants may provide one letter of recommendation from a colleague or mentor who is familiar with their comedy writing. Please do not submit a letter from an original character or from your Mom. The letter must be no longer than two pages.
5. Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation to New York City for the duration of the program. (NOTE: You do not need to be based in New York City to be considered.)
Submission Period: January 2-15, 2017
Finalist Interviews: February
Workshop in NYC: March 24-28, 2017
All dates are subject to change. The window for submissions will be open January 2, 2017 at 12:00 AM through January 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT. You may submit your packet via this link: http://ow.ly/CSsF3078LgD